St Edward the Confessor
A Brief History
Crawley was designated a New Town in 1947 but growth was slow at first. By 1963 the population had risen to 60,000. Pound Hill was one of the originally designated 10 neighbourhoods. St Edward the Confessor was built in 1965 on land given by the Crawley Development Corporation. Reinforced concrete.
The plan is of two triangles, the church and hall/clubroom, back to back, the high points of the catenary roof being the two furthest apart. The church faces south with the altar set at the outermost point of the triangle. The two side walls are largely glazed causing interior problems of solar gain and glare for the congregation facing the altar. The entrance is at one end of the spine wall. Single storey building off the church hall and a small spire.